Saturday, February 09, 2008

I have asked, and asked, and asked....

Ever since I moved home to Alaska...an "indoor/outdoor" thermometer has been on my list of wants. Several holidays have passed and I myself have purchase a couple "cheap" ones. Yesterday I could not stand it anymore...and I went and bought my own Birthday present....

Walking into the store I headed straight for the garden section in hopes of finding the thermometer that was made just for me....

So tell me why a store in Alaska would even carry an outdoor thermometer that will break when it goes below O? I found thermometers that can pull signals from satellites just in case you want to know the temperature in 7 other places too...I found thermometers with remote controls...dad could use this...carry it in his pocket and he would always know how warm or cold his house is...not sure if you can adujust the temp from the remote....lol...and of course I found your standard round and straight cheap ones that blow off in the wind and recalibrate themselves when ever they feel like it....

Then I found Fred. Love was not instant as Fred is a nerd in a "space age" looking suite. Not the decorative thing I was looking for...but much more fun to watch....

See Fred gives me the indoor out door temperatures and well as humidity levels...It is -6.6 degrees, 0% humidity out side....and 70.7 with 20% humidity inside...at 9:38 Alaska Standard Time...in anchorage Alaska. Now if this is not enough information to help plan my day....Fred also shows how to dress.....when it is warm...he is wearing shorts and a tank top...as the temp drops he puts on clothes...complete with hat scarf gloves and boots...Fred is the man....Unfortunately every time I try to take a picture of him...the glare fades him out...someday I will learn to use this camera!

Comments on "I have asked, and asked, and asked...."

 

Blogger Stan Harrington said ... (10:05 AM) : 

It is not even close to your birthday, jumping the gun a bit arn't you? As a hint, I have found the best therometer to be a quart fruit jar. I fill the jar half full of water. Above that surface of the water I have placed dots on increments of 1/4 of an inch. When I check it, it the water level has increased, I know that it is or has rained. If the surface of the water has skim ice, I know it is the in the freezing range. If it is frozen solid, I know that it is real cold and once it is cold why worry about the temp, is there any difference between zero and -10 degrees. If there is white stuff on the surface of the water, it is snowing. If the jar is laying on the deck and the water missing, I know the wind has been blowing. If mosquitos are on the water, I know it is spring. If leaves are on the water, I know it is fall. I am a firm beleiver in the KISS theory.

 

post a comment