Thursday, August 02, 2007

Feeling the need to say "Thanks"!

As I have wandered my way through life, I have met many people. Some...well lets just say...they played their part...and others...I will think about for the rest of my life missing them and always wondering if life worked out for them.
Last night just before I got off the internet...a "message" blinked in...at midnight I kind of figured it was spam...but...I wanted to know...it was Mark!!!
I realize none of you but my kids know this young man...but hopefully someday soon you all will. His mother was a very dear friend of mine. We did not get much time on this earth together...she was needed else where. But in the time we had...her kids and mine became attached...we went every where together...the boys were like brothers picking on poor Brittany...Tina and I were happy watching our brood grow up...while we crammed our heads with medical facts that will last me a life time.
One day at school Tina took me aside from the rest of our gang..."I feel odd. If anything should happen to me...will you take my boys." Knowing her past I agreed...she was 25 after all...a long life ahead of her. Two weeks later...I received a phone call...Tina had left the boys with me...and she would never be back to get them. For the first two weeks they were with me...until we found her mom and brother...after 7 months of a court battle we lost...the boys were sent to live with their father and his new wife. Tina did not feel this was a safe place for her boys...but there was nothing I could do about it.
NOW...she was right...and there is still nothing I can do about it...but...now they know that someone out here loves and cares for them...someone who loved their mother very much...at 17 and 15...ten long years have passed...but thanks to the internet and some divine intervention...I now have my/her boys back in my life...like I need any more kids....hoping some day they can come see us...or maybe...I will go to California to see them. In the mean time...in six days it will be the anniversary of her death...Tina I miss you and know that where ever you are...you will help us here. Thanks for helping me find the boys.
Thank you to my parents for raising me with commpassion and love...I would have missed out on a lot in my life if I had not felt commpassion for others.
and please my friends and family
DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE....

Comments on "Feeling the need to say "Thanks"!"

 

Blogger Stan Harrington said ... (9:42 PM) : 

It is srange how people just happen to pop back into your lives. When you and your brother were just babies, we had some very dear freinds on Adak, perhaps the closest friends we have ever had. We did everyhing together, but like Navy life does we moved to differnet locations. At first the letters came and went on a regular basis and as years passed the letter flow declined to an occasional Christmas card. The past ten years, we have talked on the phone and a little correspondence via e-mail. A few weeks ago, they called and wanted to know if we would be interested in a game of "Risk". We spent many nights playing Risk together on Adak. They will be visiting us from Chicago commencing August 25th - the last time we saw them was when Heidi was less than week old, while in Washington DC on a trip we went up to New Hampshire and spent a few days with them. That was in July 1973, thirty four years has passed since we saw them, we will be playing Risk once again.

 

Blogger Shana said ... (12:47 AM) : 

I thought she came to Whidbey...someone from Adak did...I ate her donuts. I will be in Anchor Point then...but do not include me in any game of Risk...I hate that game...and always lose. So now I want to find Brenda Lewis...my friend from Whidbey...her dad was not in your squadron I do not think...nor can I remember his name...I am guessing she got married and changed hers though. Maybe his was Randy...her moms was Carol...any way...love you

 

Blogger Heidi said ... (10:02 AM) : 

Dad, I thought you just had those friends up? Aren't they the ones with the daughter with MS?

 

post a comment