Friday, November 10, 2006

Birth of An Athlete

The time has come for all you sports fans (wich I am not) to come forth once again to cheer on the achievement of another "Harrington" wrestler. She does not carry the name...but I have lived with the attitude before. Up at 6 on days of a tournament...practices untill any hour of the evening...but worst of all those damn tournaments...not just a couple hours...but ALL DAY LONG!!! I hated that. Oh ya I also want to thank...Super Stan...and his wife for setting an example...which hints are now being dropped in my direction...words like...breakfast before...mat help...score keepers...concessions...all followed by a phrase I hate to hear...."help needed."
A down fall I am finding to personally knowing the coach...
So Mr. Belemy...I still call him Ray...(although hearing Britt use his last name makes me snicker...he is so old!!) is a great coach according to Britt. He has passion for the team...and has worked hard to keep funding in the Wrestling Program...he informed me at Conferances that Britt has the passion, stamina, and no fear to be an excellent wrestler with a little skill...I informed him that is his job..".the only "skill" I have at wrestling is biting and scratching the thug holding me to the floor!" He did not believe me!! Why is it men seem to forget so easily...its not like he ever spent the night with Shane and happened to witness the abuse...it's not like he himself was never a part of it!!!
So this weekend is the first tournament at East High. Britt is not in a match due to one to few practices...moms fault. She is there all weekend though supporting her team and helping with all the above mentioned "need helps". I may go over tomorrow and assist for a while...in concessions preferably...or as Ray puts it "hospitality". Bet he did not know the meaning of that word 20 years ago!
Britt is getting to know Nani well and really likes her although she is telling stories about my child hood...Good thing she does not know the worst stories...although informing the kids I used to tie my little brother to a tree brought back laughs.
Next weekend Britt will be wrestling in Soldotna. I am considering a trip down with her...maybe leave babies home. We will see what money is like then. I am hoping that those who started this genetic problem will ralley to support both Britt and East High Schools Coach. Especially since it is your fault that coach thinks I am a die hard wrestling fan!!! He is challenged with three deaf team mates this means two of the assistant coaches are busy "translating" when one of the three wrestle...leaving a need for some "stand in's" occasionally. When the going gets rough in wrestling...I close my eyes!!!
So her after school time is filled with wrestling and her lunches filled with The snow boarding club...so much for a debate team or maybe the year book committee...But she is happy doing well in school and thanks to her dad sporting a brand new snowboard with all the trimmings including snow pants and matching coat. He has been great supplying her with these type of things that I like her having but could not afford to buy her. He will buy her season lift pass also..one for Hill Top and One for Alyeska...she will be one "buff" kid by spring. Noe's family goes to one or the other slopes every weekend durring the season...Joint custody is great...Noe eats me out of house and home...and her parents take them out and work off the food.
So I guess it is my turn to learn to like sports...or...I could pass this off to every one else and take the weekends off!!!

Comments on "Birth of An Athlete"

 

Blogger Heidi said ... (11:02 AM) : 

I would volenteer for Brits wrestling team...i was a good mat girl!

 

Blogger Stan Harrington said ... (12:42 PM) : 

Those were fun days and you made such a good wrestling "dummy", you could have been a good wrestler if you would not have squealed so much. Thank you for volunteering me to assist and I would if the matches were a little closer to home. I might remind you that your husband was also a very good wrestler and Jack Baxter probably put more mat time in than any other adult in Homer, he was always there when you needed him. I organized and he did the work, I will never forget the year we hosted the largest tournament in Alaska History, I was tournament director (Winter Carnival Tournament) and ask Jack if he would organize the timers and score keepers, we had six mats going with two of them in the commons area. He did a super job despite the long hours and working and number of volunteers required. I think Eric should follow in his footsteps - but I also know his work hours. During wrestling season, why doesn't Brit just move down here, wrestle for Homer and move back to Anchorage after the season?

 

post a comment