Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Memories of a first

With everything going on in this world, and in our family I have spent a great many hours sitting and thinking. Pondering the world we have lived in and the world as it will become...the one thing I can be sure of is this...History does repeat itself...

As Thanksgiving approaches I have often sat and thought about what I have to be thankful for. This is a tradition I have set in my own mind since my first Thanksgiving away from home.

I was but a girl of 17, the holiday seemed to huge of a job with out my mom around to do the work. I cried for weeks leading up to thanksgiving terrified that I would ruin the day over come by homesickness and raw or burnt turkey. In reality it was just the opposite.

Those tears I shed only in the privacy of the shower, I realized that many young men were also spending the holiday alone and away from home. I invited them all over. Jeff and I spent the first Thanksgiving away from our families surrounded by others in the same position.

The dinner turned into a smorgasbord of different dishes each special to someone that was seated in the house. Many friends were made that day, and many more holidays were spent with the family with out a family.

This experience was so different from my own family traditions yet is was so similar to the ones began so long ago. I am thankful that life has given me the chance to experience so many of it's basic fundamentals.

This Holiday season will find us together as a family, enjoying a meal of all the traditional favorites of the family. Turkey and stuffing, potatoes and yams, pies and and whip creme the thoughts and smells fill my heart just thinking of them I wont even think of dads fudge...no dont think of that....buns yes buns...with butter mmmm....

Just thinking of what happy fun memories this holiday will be filled with...memories are the hope of the future as history does repeat itself.

Comments on "Memories of a first"

 

Blogger real eyez said ... (6:45 PM) : 

I too am grateful for the memories of Turkey day that have been shared with me over the last nine years. They have been so amazing that I hope the kids aren't disappointed they have high standards you know...:)

 

Blogger Stan Harrington said ... (9:37 PM) : 

Family traditions are like a diary, they pass down from generation to generation. The traditions that I enjoy today are much the same that I experienced as a child, a time of family gathering and unity. In our busy lives and outside influences, we regrettably over look the important things in our life or at a minimum take them for granted. Perhaps, that is the best thing about the holidays, it strengthens the bonds of family. The traditions and memories that we share today are those traditions and memories that our little ones will carry into their adult life.

 

Blogger Stan Harrington said ... (9:47 PM) : 

P.S. There is a reminder of something you should not forget to bring on the HITW site.

 

post a comment