Sunday, November 16, 2008

Philli and Independence Hall


This is not the original seal...a replica made in the late 1800's...there are a couple of flaws on this but I am not goning to point them out....bet dad can find them...


The top of this tower is where the liberty bell spent the first several years of it's life...until it started cracking...tower and clock are original...
This is THE ROOM that the many documents that formed this country were first signed and read...the Constitution, being the most famouse...the chair at the head of the table is the exact chair where George Washington sat...then John Adams...until the capital was moved to DC
Here is the bell...this bell was rang on many occasions happy or sad...until it was rang for the last time on George Washingtons Birthday....that is when the crack broke enough that the sound would no longer work.

It was interesting to be in Philli....the place where our nation actually began its political entity that it is too day....after the tour of Independence Hall, the Senate bldg, and the congress hall all I could do was sit....the emotions I was feeling were over whelming...and the exhaustion from two long days of touring our nations birth place have worn me out...

Breath taking...that is what this all is...after the movie in the visitors center....The ghosts of past walked us through their ideas from back then...as well as made it clear...they set up a republic for us to do with what we will....It all began right here...

Comments on "Philli and Independence Hall"

 

Blogger john r mclay said ... (7:29 AM) : 

a lot of great people helped build this country to what we know. it's a shame that so much is taken for granted.

 

Blogger Stan Harrington said ... (11:02 AM) : 

Nice shots, although I could not make out the Eagle to see his eyes, the two major errors I saw in the picture was the number of stars a the top of the crest and the number of arrows in the talons of the Eagle. When I visited, I left with a strong sense of patriotism and pride. Our forefathers did us well, perhaps it is time that the majority of our nation visit these areas of our heritage and return to the basics of our democracy instead of trying to change it.

 

Blogger Shana said ... (3:50 PM) : 

I so agree...and you are right the crest if off and the arrows...also the color of blue is not right....but the original burned long ago...so the remake must be preserved.

I wish all elementary school kids could take history class and a "field trip"....somehow I will get my children back out here...they need to be here to fully understand and feel it...I wanted to kiss the soil they walked on....stupid I know...but the feeling was there.

 

post a comment