Monday, March 03, 2008

Back to our regularly schedualed program...

Iditarod 2008...

Now that the below intermission is said and done...we return to the race...I have found several web sites covering this race...the GPS tracking devices that several of the musher's are carrying allows me to keep up with them...but not all the musher's are carrying them...so this is not a deciding factor of who will win this race.

The "Official Site of the Iditarod" has several different types of race coverage, many links to the history of the race and the musher's, as well as written and pictorial coverage of the race.

This "Current Standings Chart" is not as accurate as the one I found during the Yukon Quest...takes them a bit longer to relay information from the tundra I guess...but it does give a very adequate over view of the most recent current standings in a format that even an graphical idiot like myself can understand.

Now according to the GPS Lance Mackey is wearing, he is leading the pack from Finger Lake on his way to Rainy Pass. I am going to guess his ascent up the mountain will be fairly quick as his team has had a nice rest, but according to the Official Iditarod site...he is still resting in Skewtna...hmmm...maybe someone snagged his GPS?

Lets move back to the GPS site...according to this new age tracking system the musher line up has Lance slightly in the lead over Cim Smyth and Jessie Royer...the chart on the side states that Lance Mackey in behind them...but the little doggies running say other wise....although yet again the Official Site states an entirely different story.

So now I return to the GPS gazing room and watch as Mr Mackey races ahead prparing for a climb high into the mountains of the interior of Alaska...the trail breaker better pick up speed or he too may be passed by the little doggie in the flag...

woof, woof, to Nome we go!

Comments on "Back to our regularly schedualed program..."

 

Blogger Stan Harrington said ... (10:33 AM) : 

Two postings in a day. I just checked the standings, ity was updated just a few minutes ago. I wonder whatthe story is on a rookie by the name of Benedikt Beisch. He was Bib #64 nad is now in 3rd Place. I do not know what he is feeding his dogs but between Finger Lake and Skwenta, his time between check points was half of every musher on that part of the trail. He made it to Skwenta in 2 Hr 50 Min, everyone else was at least 4.5 hours. His average speed between the check points was 15.88 mph, everyone else was in the 8 and 9 mph range. I hope a snow machine and sled to haul the dogs was not involved! 15.88 MPH is moving right along.

 

Blogger Stan Harrington said ... (8:30 PM) : 

Did I tell you that I had King Crab -

 

Blogger Shana said ... (8:47 PM) : 

yes father you told us you had king crab.

 

Blogger Da Bears said ... (9:00 AM) : 

I have red King Crab in my freezer, left over from Christmas. I think I'll feed it to the cat.

 

Blogger Stan Harrington said ... (9:03 AM) : 

I will be yur kitty!

 

Blogger Shana said ... (10:13 AM) : 

now my brother has gone weird on me too....help I am in a weird family!!!

Dad you can not be his kitty...and Shane do not humor him...he has lost touch with reality in his crab induced hazy mind....LOL

but I am coming south next weekend...I will take that crab off your hands...hehe

 

Blogger Stan Harrington said ... (10:28 AM) : 

Sorry, there is a forecasted road closure at KenaI Lake next weekend to repair the bridge, all traffic will be stopped for 36 hours.

 

post a comment