Saturday, March 01, 2008

Iditarod 2008....Ceromonial Start



This photo was taken for sentimental reasons...Unfortunately the recruiter station is no longer there and the little greasy spoon restaurant was so full a small baby could not have fit in that place let alone six of us for hot chocolate. So we moved along...

Everyone takes the iditarod as an opportunity to advertise...






Now the free mittens were a wonderful thing for those who forgot theirs (Donny and Anna)...Although the fleece used in the making of these gloves provides better Air conditioning than heat retention...I am told...I had my gloves. but I got my free pair anyway.



Now here is an event that is probably losing its audience due to a very poor job as auctioneer. Starting the bid at 100 dollars and attempting to sell two arctic fox's separately but at one time...these fox's gave their lives for 25 dollars apiece. I am thinking a good auctioneer would have started the bid at 25 and worked up. A good auctioneer would have been able to babble endlessly and draw a crowd thus forming a competition. Well....this man had NO CLUE how to run an auction....it was still neat to see the traders and the "truck" full of furs...all non tanned. Britt was a little ill at the site...but...I want the 150 dollar mittens made from beaver fur...and the red fox hat with the ear muffs....yep...warm! All the musher's were wearing them....for the start...then comes GORTEX!



And on that note...Notice the Grand Opening Advertisement...found on our free mittens.

Comments on "Iditarod 2008....Ceromonial Start"

 

Blogger Stan Harrington said ... (10:21 PM) : 

I remember that parking lot in your first picture, every morning of the week my Official Navy Sedan pulled into that lot at 6:30 am - sometimes I saw some strange sites which cannot or should not be commented on. Watched the launch of the race from the comfort of my my nice warm house. Watched all 98 mushers pull out and I did see the ugly dog (General George Patton's dog) with a big red target painted around his eye, which i thought was very tacky of Target Storte to do in order to get a little publicity - free gloves are o.k., but paint a dog? That many rookies, it will be intresting to see how fast they drop.

 

Blogger Stan Harrington said ... (10:25 PM) : 

P.S. There is a reason that an auctioneer will start two or more same items out at the same time, top bidder can have choice to take as many as they desire. To long to explain the reason but it is normal.

 

Blogger Shana said ... (11:30 PM) : 

figured that part was normal as the auctioneer spent 20 minutes explaining how that worked...just did not seem like any auction I have ever been too...the crowd made more noise...and as you can see...there were not too many in the crowd...lol...

 

Blogger Shana said ... (11:31 PM) : 

but a silver wolf pelt goes for 235...and a beaver at 190....without being tanned...no wonder the gloves and hat are so pricey....

 

Blogger Stan Harrington said ... (12:52 AM) : 

I know a lot of guys that have paid much more than $190 for beaver. I am sorry, I could not resist!

 

Blogger john r mclay said ... (6:23 AM) : 

That's expensive beaver!
I noticed all the bullseyes on you guys and some dogs....ever watched "running Man"? It looks as if the crowd was being prepared for some kind of game. You might have thought twice about wearing the "targets" if the auctioneer had you run down a side street by the gun pawn shop....

 

Blogger Heidi said ... (8:19 AM) : 

Yea Target Coming!

 

post a comment