Monday, March 03, 2008

and they wonder why kids grow up so fast...

A few days ago Ms. Brittany came into my room requesting some feminine hygiene products. Grabbing a handfull of tampons I handed them to her over Melissa's head. Melissa looking up asked...

"Why does Brittany need butt plugs?"....

my mouth fell open and I struggled for a minute with how to respond to this verbiage out of the blue...

"Where did you figure that out?" I asked her dreading the answer....

"On the box at the store mama...the lady is putting one of those in her butt."

Now my box of products does NOT have these pictures on them...so when I was shopping for more product yesterday I could not help but notice....the feminine hygiene isles have all gone X-rated...I will avoid this isle with my children in future shopping trips...

Warming oils with erotic images...found on the shelf...(now don't get me wrong...I am all for these type of adult things in the right environment but to have to explain to my small children the facts of life while in the grocery store...not my cup of tea!)

Now aside from the oils and lubricants...three out of five packages of feminine products have the instructions on the out side of the box...complete with the lady with her foot up on the toilet inserting a "butt plug"!

So thanks to commercials and the retail industry...my four year old daughter knows all about "pills that make men smile"..."butt plugs"...and my favorite...

"I have herpes mama and need medicine!" valtrex commercials are numerous and always make having herpes look like fun....she noticed!...No she does not know what herpes are...and yes I tried to change the topic after a quick..."It's for big people not little ones...little ones dont get herpes...."

So why is it again we dont see cigarette adds on TV? Why is alcohol is not advertised on TV? Why is it that my children can learn all about herpes meds and ED drugs...but she cant learn about a condom?

The prevention theory was proving to work...and now they are changing and advertising sexual drugs on TV...showing kids that if you do not chose abstinence and you get herpes...no big deal...we have valtrex...and one of the side effects of this drug is erectile dysfunction...but thats ok too...we have "Happy Pills!"

So we need to bring back the Marlboro man...he was cute and rode a nice horse...this should increase sales on valtrex to women...and that Virginia Slim lady...bet the ED drugs would sell like hot cakes if they advertised them after the commercial of her rolling her head and swinging that long luscious hair while puffing her slim and dainty cigarette!!

Comments on "and they wonder why kids grow up so fast..."

 

Blogger Stan Harrington said ... (1:59 PM) : 

Do have to agree with you that the commericials that we are exposed to during a nightly episode of t.v is getting a little carried away. but, Playboy magazines are still undercover and hidden from view.

 

post a comment