Wednesday, March 12, 2008

2008 Iditarod is not over....

First place being taken by Lance Mackey was so deserved. Racing head to head with the "winnigest man" (stated by Mackey in Nome) with all the troubles he had on the trail...he knew he earned this and had to brag himself up a bit...but like last year is main focus was on his dogs, his wife, and his father. (Why I like him) I hope he was proud of himself...he remembered the Governors name this year...and even congratulated her on her "win". As well as apologized for getting her out of bed at 3am.

Now his team was a different story...last year these dogs came into Nome and seemed thrilled to be running together...this year it was VERY obvious the troubles with jealousy between an old leader and the up and coming leader. Also quite obvious that even though he did not want to "pick" he would rather see his "new leader" get the nomination for the Golden Harness Award over the last years winner of this title, who was extremely "distant", refused to get on the stage to claim his victory and once there instead of leaning in to Mackey like last year...he pulled away and sent glaring glances at "Handsome".

Now I know father is going to prattle on about this race so I will hold it sweet here...the rivalry between Lance Mackey and Jeff King will continue as both musher's will be mushing the Sweepstakes in just a few short days.

Now as a foot note...I found it quite funny that breaking from a interview with Mackey twice for a commercial break...Chrysler being a big sponsor of this race...and Jeff King being their spokesperson...the first words we heard after Lance Mackey were...."Hi this is Jeff King...on my way to winning another Iditarod"...woke Eric with the laughter coming from the living room...kinda ironic just five minutes after Lance won...and an hour before King crossed the line...

Good race by both these men...now....the race is not over...any minute the third place musher will be crossing that line...here it will be close...but remember...it's not over till the red lantern enters Nome....

Comments on "2008 Iditarod is not over...."

 

Blogger Stan Harrington said ... (10:53 AM) : 

I really fill slighted that y0u did not tell the world how this race was actually won, the tricks that were pulled. No, I am not talking about the racers themselves but those of us restricted to our computer years and wagering bets on the side, let's see, that is the grand total again? I forgot!

 

Blogger I am...ARMY STRONG said ... (11:02 AM) : 

Congrats to Lance Mackey. To win "double doubles" is a greet feat for him to accomplish. I was hoping he would do it, even though I'm not obsessed with the race like some people are. LOL. There was no cheating other than the GPS b.s. which in my opinion, narrows the racing excitement as you know who is where and don't have to wait to find out at the checkpoints. BORRING. But it still is a great feat for Mackey.

 

Blogger Stan Harrington said ... (1:25 PM) : 

This "old Navy Cheif" will have to disagree with his oldest grandson, grandfathers reserve this right! The GPS tracking system has opened up this race to millions of viewers world wide. There is very limited news coverage on the race, except on Alaska local channels and then only in the sport section of the eveing news. By the time it is posted in the paper, it is a day old news. Even with the GPS tracker, I had calls from Florida, Texas, New Mexico and Colorado wanting the up to minute details of the race. Being able to watch the racers go from one check point to the next, watching their times and mph's, you develop a sense of their stategy and for those of us who are not on the trail, can get into the excitement. Even Lance Mackey's wife, discussed in an interview in Nome last night how addictive it can be. It is also a very good safety measure, if that sled strays off course and gets lost, which has happened in the past. No, the technology is here, let's use it and I would like to see it become mandantory for all mushers to carry and use them, standard check in item at each check station. To a lessor degree, after traveling 13,000 miles last fall with "suzie", I will never leave home without her.

 

Blogger its only me said ... (11:30 PM) : 

hello anyone I blogged and no one comes and reads it...thanks

 

Blogger john r mclay said ... (5:46 AM) : 

What a whiner, Donald! I don't even know how to access your site! Blogger won't even let me see your profile - thanks!

 

Blogger john r mclay said ... (5:48 AM) : 

What's the name of your blog, anyway?

 

Blogger I am...ARMY STRONG said ... (9:35 AM) : 

Grandpoo Pa, I can see your point on the GPS thing, but the Iditarod is watched in places like Switzerland, where there is also dog sled racing. Florida, Texas, and New Mexico do not have these races, I don't know about Colorado though. But getting lost is part of the excitment too. I would agree traveling across country with a GPS, or "Suzie", would be beneficial, as an old man like yourself probably can't read a new-age map. LOL. (that's for labeling me a woodpecker) But in all seriousness my next rig will have a GPS system in it but it will be called "Pecker". LOL. Also the Navy had/has the privilege of GPS location systems, the Army relies on maps and location's from you Navy boys. LOL (ey ey Cheif)
But in all fairness of the Iditarod, in my opinion, everyone on the trail should either have one (GPS) or not have one at all to make the race as fair as it can be.
After all, isn't it called
"THE LAST GREAT RACE"?

 

Blogger Stan Harrington said ... (10:55 AM) : 

I guess it is going to take a littl common sense of the Navy to guide the Army, again! There are thousands, if not millions of individuals that are interested in he Iditirod, perhaps they have never seen snow or a husky, but it is billed as the last great race, so depsite their state not having snow, they are still intersted in he race and the wilderness. In Alaska, we do not have a pro football team, how many of us tune in every Sunday, Monday, thrusday, and Sarturdayt? As far as your reference pertaining to the Navy has to use GPS while he Army uses the old map system. Perhaps the "grunt" on he ground should keep this in mind the next time they call in an airstrike from that carrier off shore to take out a combatant site that is located at the corner of 5th and Elm, might have to take out the entire block to get it but if you give us the coordinates of the target, Navy pilots will put it through whichever window or door you want. May also keep in mind that good coordinates from a GPS do cut down casualties from friendly fire. Want to paint that target, run over and tack a map on the wall of the target and maybe we can hit it, put a red dot on it and the GPS will slip one down the stack. Just remember, when you are on the ground, the angels are flying overhead protecting your butt!

 

Blogger Stan Harrington said ... (10:58 AM) : 

Oh yeah, when you get your rig with a GPS, may want to reconsider naming your unit "Pecker", the voice in the GPS unit is normallly a female, the choice is yours be told what to do by a sweet lady or a dyke!

 

Blogger john r mclay said ... (4:00 PM) : 

When are you gonna post again Shana?
It better not be at 5 pm, or I'll shut EVERYBODY off!

 

Blogger I am...ARMY STRONG said ... (10:18 AM) : 

Well, i uess i want the sweet lady to tell me where to go. that's easier than asking a male for directions. Oh, we do have a pro football team in AK, two of them now, the Alaska Wild, and the Fairbanks Grizzlies. Although they are not NFL teams, they are professional teams in arena league football. The league is called the IFL, Intense Football League. And the ARMY boys and MARINES I have talked to since I decided what branch to join, I have heard them thanking the NAVY and Air Force, for saving their asses in combat, or as they say "making the odds greater for us." Not so much the Marines because they are to gung-ho
for battle, most of our casualties are Marines in this war. I thought about the Marines, but I am not a jar-head like them, I like to think about the situation then act, not act then think. Both ARMY and Marine recruiters have told me that, so I will be ARMY, I will still see combat as an Infantryman, but not so much of the death to my fellow soldiers, not that I'm chicken and won't fight, because I will, but because I have a wife and kids to come home to. Oh yeah, you should check out our Alaska football teams sometime. They are on t.v. (on the B2 networks) and on the radio (x-rock 96.3 FM)

 

Blogger I am...ARMY STRONG said ... (10:23 AM) : 

also you can watch on
B2TV.com

 

post a comment